"Newlyweds become oldyweds, and oldyweds are the reasons that families work..."

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, July 25, 2008

From 'Emotion Disorder' to the RM138 Ice-Cream Cake..., it's Happy Birthday to Mizz Muffet.

Yours truly just hit 25 at exactly 1030 hrs this morning today. While I detected early signs of midlife crisis last night, I also felt that entering the age of 25 on the 25th is rather symbolic.

On the eve of my birthday, I suffered minor emotion disorder. I am not certain if the term 'emotion disorder' actually exist, but that's the best set of words to describe what I went through last night. Lucky for me, Babe was there with me and for me, making sure I was OK, and stood by me all the way through. (I know it sounded like a battle for survival, but truth was, it was worse than that. Seriously.)

Never mind the sad part. Here comes the best part, and the most surprising part.

Babe wanted to cheer me up. But he knows best that nothing beats the goodness taste of ice-creams and chocolates when it comes to cheering me up. So Babe decided to take me out and spoil me with ice-creams.

But being the eve of my birthday, and it was an hour until 0000 hrs, Babe wanted to buy me a birthday cake as well. I politely decline, and said, "thanks Babe, just ice-creams would do,"

But it was Babe who craved for cakes. So he came decided that we get an ice-cream cake, a solution that would satisfy both our different cravings in an equal way.

So there we were, at Haagen Dazs near Lot10, peeking through the almost frosty door of refrigerator, and going through every cakes displayed. So I thought to myself, well this is not bad, although it comes in a small size, it looks very delicious, and the price is not bad for an ice-cream cake, it's only RM38... wait a minute. Pause. I blinked my eyes so hard to clear my vision, in case I couldn't see very clear through the frosty door. That's when I saw clearly, how much was the cake price-tagged. RM138.

So I turn to babe, and I said to him, "Babe, this is crazy. Can we just go for the ice-cream?,". Babe smiled. A very different smile. A smile that says more of "it's OK, we'll get the cake. I insist", rather than, "OK, ice-cream it is then,".

After many "Please Babe, can we just get the ice-creams", and "You're crazy, thanks but no thanks, you're crazy,", Babe still insisted that this is something he wants to do for me, and he doesn't mind paying bucks for the cake, because it's something we both love. After all, it's just a once-in-year splurge for a birthday cake, so it doesn't hurt his wallet a bit.

So I sat quietly and gazed into his eyes, and thought to myself, Oh dear God, this is totally a surprise. I'd never expected to gulp down an RM138 ice-cream cake, but Babe is right. It's my day today, so it's not wrong to splurge for something you love, and share it with the person you love. How wonderful.

So we bought a whole Double Chocolate ice-cream cake, have the staff to cut 3 pieces out of it, for Babe, Johann and myself to have in the cafe, and have the remaining cake portion packed for take-out.

If you ask me, the experience of eating an ice-cream cake with an unbelievable price-tagged is really worth it, considering the wonderful taste and texture of the ice-cream, how it melts in your mouth, and how fine and rich the chocolate was. We left for home right after the clock striked midnight.

Thanks Babe for the lovely and memorable experience. If I could document the whole ice-cream cake eating experience, it would definitely land a spot in one of those documentaries in Discovery's Travel & Living channel. I am thinking Ticket to Indulgence, or perhaps World's Best?

Our cake was packed with dry ice to keep it from melting through out our journey home. And at home, Johann turned the kitchen sink into a chemistry lab, experimenting on the dry ice that doesn't melt even though it was put under running water. Instead it produced thin smoke. It sure did look like a successful lab test. I wonder if the dry ice finally melted this morning.




No comments: