"Newlyweds become oldyweds, and oldyweds are the reasons that families work..."

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The day I turned 26 (and my tribute to Yasmin Ahmad)

I celebrated my 26th year last Saturday, July the 25th.

And as how my birthdays had been like before, the celebration was more of a family get-together, only this time I have included my extended family from my Fiance's side to join in the fun with us. We opted for a BBQ in our backyard instead of the traditional Birthday dinner. The idea came instantly when Mimie and I were discussing on what to do on my Birthday.

I couldn't find the perfect set of words to describe how joyous that evening was. I have these pictures in my head about that day that I wish I could just publish them here. Pictures that even our camera had failed to capture. How Abah was so full after the many rounds of chickens and lamb, how surprised I looked when Shaz appeared with my Birthday Cake, how Babe full-heartedly prepared his Garlic Prawns based on a method he observed long ago.

What else could anyone want on their special day except to be with those people who they love the most? I don't need Birthday presents to make me happy, it's those people who were present on my day that made me happy. It's those smiles, it's those voices, it's those gestures and familiar faces that are dear to me, that I never get tired of, that never failed to keep me happy.

But I wasn't happy for long. In fact I was sadden by what I had heard on the news the next morning. It was a great loss.

She was always the one with great ideas, ideas that no one could ever saw or thought of but her.
She put her heart and spirit into every piece of her films, and that what made her so special. She continued to touch the hearts of those around her, regardless of age, culture and background.

I had the closest encounter with her in 2007 on a flight to Langkawi. I published an entry specifically on this. I regretted back then for not having the courage to go up to her and tell her how I admire her work, and now I regret for not taking the courage to speak to her at all. Because if Yasmin is still around, she would want you to follow your heart and take the courage, she would want you to put away your regrets and learn from them so you will never make the same mistakes again.

Yasmin Ahmad (July 1, 1958 - July 25, 2009) was a critically-acclaimed multi-award winning film director, and scriptwriter from Malaysia and was also the executive creative director at Leo Burnett Kuala Lumpur. Her television commercials and films are well-known in Malaysia for their humour, heart and love that crosses cross-cultural barriers, in particular her ads for Petronas, the national oil and gas company. Her works have won multiple awards both within Malaysia and internationally. Source : from here.

Yasmin Ahmad will be dearly missed and will always be remembered. R.I.P.

No comments: